PartyPaloozaNW Costume Party - March 8th, 2008, at 8:00 pm
"The theme is... Mad Max, Beyond the Military Zone! The movie we are loosely basing our theme on is the third and final in the Mad Max series starring Mel Gibson and Tina Turner, released in 1985.
To purchase your tickets online, to go: Brown Paper Tickets or call their live 24/7 Hotline 1-800-838-3006 and ask for tickets to the Mad Max event on March 8th! We will have a limited amount of tickets available at the door as well, first come, first served. Ticket prices are: $12.00 online and $15.00 at the door. The ticket price is non-refundable.
The ticket price includes 1 drink ticket and 3 raffle prize tickets. Guests must be 21 and older, please bring your photo ID. We will have Snacks, Sodas and a No Host Bar. A DJ will be spinning the
tunes and there might even be an after-party. As usual, prizes will be awarded to the best costumes! Please RSVP to the Evite, if you received it, or on our new Meetup group at (http://costume.meetup.com/1/) so that we can get an idea of how many people will be attending attending. Check the website for more deatails: http://PartyPaloozaNW.com
This party is a fundraiser for ROOTS (Rising Out Of The Shadows) which is a homeless shelter for teens and young adults. Their website is located at: http://www.rootsinfo.org and ALL FUNDS
raised from the ticket and raffle sales at the party will be donated directly to ROOTS on behalf of Kumar, a dear friend of ours who passed away last year."
Zompire: The Undead Film Festival - The festival is dedicated to all things undead.
May 9-10, 2008, Hollywood Theater, Portland, OR. Website: http://www.zompire.com/
Isaac - Clarion West Writers Workshop is now accepting applications for the 2008 workshop
Pacific Science Center - Two events of interest to fans (Thest two events are not yet posted on the PSC site, but should be soon ~ Jim)
March 26, 2008, 7:30 PM Eames Theater - PHYSICS OF THE IMPOSSIBLE: A Scientific Exploration Into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel by Michio Kaku
"Invisibility. Teleportation. Mind reading. Psychokinesis. Time travel. Star ships. Parallel universes.... Normally, these would be dismissed by scientists as being "impossible." But so often in the past, what was once considered "impossible" eventually becomes common place. So might they also become possible in a few decades, centuries, or even millennia? Best-selling author Prof. Michio Kaku explores the fascinating physics behind these fantastic phenomena, and then argues, using the most advanced science known, that we can estimate when they might become possible, or can determine which are truly "impossible.'"
April 16, 2008, 7:30 PM Eames Theater - Beyond UFOs: The Search for Extraterrestrial Life and its Astonishing Implications for Our Future by Jeffrey Bennett
"Is there really life beyond Earth? Astronomer and author Jeffrey Bennett will talk about why this question has become a hot topic of scientific research, and discuss how scientists are searching both for microbial life and extraterrestrial intelligence. Along the way, we'll also see why the possibility of life beyond Earth has profound implications to the future of our species, even in the unlikely event that we are alone in the universe. Children are welcome; those over about age 10 should be able to understand most of the talk, and younger children will still enjoy the pictures. Note: This talk is based on Dr. Bennett's new book Beyond UFOs (Princeton University Press, 2008); he is also the author of Life in the Universe, the leading college textbook in the field of astrobiology."
Meeting of the IKV T'Mar - Saturday, March 8, 2008
"Farrelli's Pizza, 3518 Sixth Ave, Tacoma, WA 98406 3pm to ?? We may hang out after the meeting. Our meetings are held on the 2nd Saturday of each month, unless there is an event or convention that conflicts with it. Locationsmay change, contact me if necessary." Website: http://www.ikvtmar.com
Zombiebot Film Festival (at Norwescon) - The movies are nearly set
"Tell everyone. This is a hell of a line-up. Hope to see all you of you at the screenings."
- Thursday March 20th: "Night of Hell Hamsters", "Gamers", "Blood Car", & "Re-Animated".
- Friday Night: "Listening Dead", "Oculus", "Eyes Of Edward James", "Pit and the Pendulum", "Nobody", plus bonus secret screening.
- Saturday Night: "Far Out", "Demonology of Desire", "Criticized", "Sympathy", plus bonus secret screenings
MySpace Profile: http://myspace.com/zombiebots
EMP|SFM - Exposed: Inside Film at EMP|SFM
The featured movies are:
- Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - "The Golden Compass" with Writer and Director Chris Weitz
- Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - Star Trek New Voyages "World Enough and Time" episode with co-writer, director and executive producer Marc Scott Zicree and executive producer Elaine Zicree
- Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - "Terra" with director and animator Aristomenis Tsirbas
Museum of Flight - March Events Calendar:
Check out the calendar of upcoming events at the Museum of Flight: http://www.museumofflight.org/Display.asp?Page=VisCal
University Book Store - University Book Store Events Calendar for March
- Wednesday, March 19, 2008, 7:00, U District store - Norwescon Signing. Discussion & Book Signing: Several Norwescon notables will sit down to sign some books and talk to some fans here among our nationally respected science fiction collection.
- Tuesday, March 25, 2008, 7:00 PM, U District store - Terry Brooks, "Dark Wraith of Shannara", Reading & Book Signing
- Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 7:30 PM, Pacific Science Center - Michio Kaku "Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel", Reading & Book Signing (See previous listing for more details)
- Thursday, March 27, 2008, 7:00 PM, U District store - Caitlin Kittredge & Mark Henry, "Happy Hour of the Damned" & "Night Life", Reading & Book Signing
- Monday, March 31, 7:00 PM, Richard Hugo House, 1634 11th Avenue, Seattle - Fantastic Fiction Salon: James Patrick Kelly, Reading & Book Signing
Wayward Coffeehouse - Movie Night
Friday, March 07, 2008, 9:00 PM - "TRON" Get your coffee and a movie at: http://www.waywardcoffee.com/