Saturday, May 31, 2008

SFN / NWSFS ELECTIONS & CANDIDATE STATEMENTS

SCIENCE FICTION NORTHWEST (SFN), NORTHWEST SCIENCE FICTION SOCIETY (NWSFS.) ELECTIONS

ABOUT THESE ELECTIONS: The purpose of these elections is to elect the officers for Science Fiction Northwest (SFN), which is the parent organization of both Norwescon, and the Northwest Science Fiction Society (NWSFS.) These Officer positions are: Chair, Vice-Chair and Treasurer.
These three officers serve both SFN and NWSFS, and are elected annually in June by the voting NWSFS membership. Any additional board members are appointed by these three Officers and the Norwescon Committee is approved by them as well.
This years Nominations/Elections committee is headed up by Michael Citrak. Election results will be announced at the June 2008 Picnic Social as well as on the club website and online communities:

ELIGIBLE VOTERS: You must have been a NWSFS member since the end of April 2008 (April, May and June inclusive). If you joined at Norwescon 31, you are eligible.

ELIGIBLE NOMINEES: A nominee must have been a member of NWSFS, in good standing, for 12 months preceding the election (June 2007 to June 2008.) Nominees must be able to sign contracts on behalf of NWSFS, in accordance with Washington State law, which means they must be at least 18 years of age and a Washington State resident. These rules of eligibility will also apply to all individuals named as write-in votes on the ballot. Candidate statements are on the third page of these ballot instructions.

TO VOTE IN PERSON: Attend the June 28th social at Woodland Park, Shelter Number 4, and hand in your ballot to the Elections Committee. Please remember to bring ID. You will then be checked off the list of eligible voters. You may turn in your ballots at the social until 6 P.M. Extra ballots will be available at the social. Check the fourth page of these ballot instructions for information regarding the social, and be sure to check the socials page on NWSFS website for updated information. The social will begin at 1 P.M. and end at 9 P.M. Election results will be announce at the social as well as on the club website and online communities

TO VOTE BY MAIL : Ballots were mailed to eligible voters on May 30 and 31. If you have any questions regarding this ballot or any other SFN/NWSFS election issue, please contact Michael Citrak at ( Mcitrak@Comcast.net ) or use the mailing address below:

NWSFS – Elections
c/o Michael Citrak
P.O.Box 5181
Lacey, WA, 98509-5181



CANDIDATE STATEMENTS FOR SFN/NWSFS ELECTIONS – JUNE 2008
Science Fiction Northwest (SFN) is the parent organization of both Norwescon and the Northwest Science Fiction Society (NWSFS)

CHAIR: Michael Ormes Nominated by Jim Cox, seconded by Dick O’Shea.
I've now spent a second year as your chair. I've had considerable support from members of the board and the NWSFS membership. With your continued support, I look forward to another year as your chair.


CHAIR: Kat Marier Nominated by Linda Deneroff, seconded by Greg Paddock.
Hello everyone! I am running for Chair of NWSFS. For those of you who may not know me, I served as Vice Chair from 2004-2007 and co-founded the NWSFS blogging community last year. In these positions I successfully organized and publicized 24+ events per year; and I helped create a blogging environment that serves as a place where fen can communicate about important events and issues.

I also have many ties to fandom-at-large, being a long time con com member and volunteer at Norwescon. I also worked on the last Seattle Westercon and our Nasfic in 2005. I have attended many local and out-of-state conventions and have a great love for fandom in all its crazy forms. I would like to see NWSFS reach out to other fan organizations; that can be simply promoting a new convention on our blogs to volunteering in person at events.

NWSFS is a wonderful organization in that it is organized by fen for fen. I love the tradition of monthly get-togethers and socials and I want to see that tradition continue. But I also want to see NWSFS provide more for its members. I am excited that the West Wind is being revived and I am excited to help make that dream happen!
As for me personally, I am a voracious reader, both fiction and non-fiction. I am hard-working with an open mind, a willingness to listen to other viewpoints and hammer out decisions that are win-win for everyone.


VICE-CHAIR: Shawn Marier Nominated by Michael Ormes, seconded by Yvonne Pawtowski.
Hello, my name is Shawn Marier and I am running for NWSFS’s Vice Chair. I have been active in both NWSFS and its sister organization Norwescon for many years.
The last couple of years I have voiced my concerns about the health of NWSFS. I do not feel we have been doing a good job of finding and retaining new members. A group like ours needs to have a minimum number of active members for it to succeed.

So I want to look at new ways we can recruit new members (and keep our existing ones), but before we can do this we need to make sure we have something to offer them. Currently we try to have monthly socials and MFRs, I would like to see if we can expand on the number of events we have. One of my ideas for a new event is a monthly movie outing.
The other thing which we need to improve on is communicating these events to our membership. The Westwind used to do a good job of this, but I truthfully can’t recall when the last issue of it went out.

So we need to look at better ways at getting this information out to our membership. I think Kat and Jim have been doing a great job with the LJ and myspace blogs, so let’s see if we can find a way to expand on what they have started. If you have questions or concerns please feel free to contact me: smarier@gmail.com or at my blog.


TREASURER: Bill Boyde Nominated by Michael Ormes, seconded by Yvonne Pawtowski.
"Hello, my name is Bill Boyde and I have been involved with NWSFS for quite some time, helping with various tasks for Norwescon, and generally lurking in the background. I have had interest in being Treasurer for some time now. Last I checked, my opponent has had nothing bad to say about me. I believe I can perform a reasonably good job at being Treasurer for NWSFS."


NWSFS Election and Picnic Social Saturday - June 28th, 2008
Please join us Saturday, June 28th, 2008, for an Election and Picnic Social at Woodland Park Shelter No4, tables # 46 – 50. The social will begin at 1 P.M. and end at 9 P.M. Ballots will be accepted until 6 P.M. All ballots will be tallied and the results announced at the social. Election results will be announced at the social as well as on the club website and online communities:
There will be a grill available. The club will provide burgers, hot dogs, condiments and buns. Please bring a contribution of munchies, salad, side dish or dessert that will complement the grilled main course. Bring your own beverages. To coordinate contributions you may contact Michael Citrak by phone (360.456.7441) or email (mcitrak@comcast.net). Also, we’d love an R.S.V.P. so we can plan the amount of food. NWSFS members are encouraged to attend and non-members in the community are welcome, as always. We hope to see you there.

Logistical Information:

The shelter has covered tables. Bringing your own lawn chair or blanket guarantees you won’t be sitting on the ground. Grills and water are available. Bathrooms are across the parking lot. The shelter is right next to the parking lot. No stairs are required. Some handicapped parking and plenty of general parking is available. There is a fenced off-leash dog area down the hill. There will be some fooling around with super-soakers™, frisbees™ and other non-pointy toys for the young & the silly!
Directions:
  • I-5 North & I-5 South, take the NE 50th St exit.
  • Turn LEFT if from I-5 Northbound; turn RIGHT if from I-5 Southbound.
  • Continue on NE 50th Westbound.
  • Turn RIGHT at N 50th St and Stone Way N. Stone Way N will turn into Green Lake Way N when you make the turn.
  • Move into the LEFT lane and continue on Green Lake Way N to W Green Lake Way N, which is at the Green Lake Pitch and Putt Golf Course.
  • Turn LEFT onto W Green Lake Way N.
  • Make the first LEFT into the parking lot, and then quickly turn RIGHT to go up the hill.
  • Shelter No4 is immediately on the LEFT hand side of the road at the top of the hill.
  • Look for the NWSFS signs.

No comments: