Free museum admission for kids 10 and under, hourly prize giveaways, live music in Sky Church, tasty birthday treats, robots and more!
SEATTLE—Join Experience Music Project|Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame (EMP|SFM) for a “1 in 4 Million” Birthday Celebration on Saturday, June 21. Since opening in June 2000, the museum has welcomed more than 4 million visitors through its doors—two great reasons to celebrate with the community! The celebration is sponsored by IKEA, Star 101.5 FM, Guitar Center, Daniel’s Catering, Zune and Xbox.
There is something for everyone at the museum on Saturday, June 21:
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m.—Free museum admission for kids 10 and under
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m.—Hourly prize giveaways
- 11 a.m.-3 p.m.—Robot arm art project in SpinKids Station
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.—Tasty birthday treats served on the museum’s plaza
- 12 noon and 1 p.m.—Performances by local band, Board of Education in Sky Church
- 1:30 and 3 p.m.—Bilingual docent tours of American Sabor: Latinos in U.S. Popular Music
- 2 p.m.— Family-friendly seminar on why we love and fear robots, led by popular author Daniel H. Wilson. Wilson is a contributing editor to Popular Mechanics and author of several books, including How to Survive a Robot Uprising, Where's My Jetpack? and How to Build a Robot Army. The seminar takes place in JBL Theater.
- 8 p.m.—Science Fiction Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will honor Betty and Ian Ballantine (Literature Category), William Gibson (Literature Category), Richard M. Powers (Art Category), and Rod Serling (Film, Television and Media Category.) Science fiction author Connie Willis will host the evening’s events. Tickets are $40 for EMP|SFM members and $50 for the general public. The evening includes a seated dessert reception and ceremony. To purchase tickets call 206-770-2702.
Saturday, June 21 is a Family Day at EMP|SFM, Family Days occur the third Saturday of every month, and can include art projects, live music, special tours and workshops. Family Days are free to kids 10 and under. For an up-to-date programming schedule, visit www.empsfm.org/calendar.
Museum Hours: EMP|SFM is open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. from May 23, 2008 through September 1, 2008. EMP|SFM will be open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. from September 2, 2008 through May 21, 2009.
Museum Admission: General adult admission to Experience Music Project|Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame (EMP|SFM) is $15. Admission for seniors, youth, military and students (w/ID) is $12, and admission for children under 5 is free.
Web site: empsfm.org
Address: 325 5th Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109
Box office: 206-770-2702, 1-877-EMP-SFM1
Robots: A Designer's Collection of Miniature Mechanical Marvels
May 16, 2008 – October 26, 2008
Robots: A Designer's Collection of Miniature Mechanical Marvels celebrates our long fascination with humankind's technological version of itself. This exhibition draws from a one-of-a-kind assemblage of toy robots, which noted designer Tom Geismar has been collecting for decades. Inspired by antique tin and wooden toys, samurai warriors and mid-20th century Japanese film characters, these intricately detailed and beautifully designed miniatures are set against EMP|SFM's backdrop of life-sized robots, androids and cyborgs from the world of science-fiction film and television.